Sunday, December 22, 2013

Advent Devotion: December 22

Time Enough
Read Psalm 90:12

Christopher Morley once wrote an “Epitaph for Any New Yorker” (1923):
I, who all my life had hurried,
            Came to Peter’s crowded gate;
And, as usual, was worried,
            Fearing that I might be late.
So, when I began to jostle
            (I forgot that I was dead)
Patient smiled the old Apostle:
            “Take your eternity,” he said.

There seems to be a shortage of free time in every Advent season. My calendar in retirement boasts obligations and promises of happy times with friends. I join the choruses with familiar tunes and contemplate seasons gone by.

Advice from a venerable professor saved in an autobiography (1962) offers encouragement to get to appointed places with the appropriate preparation. Frank Luther Mott summed up his attention to details in his life:

“I have time enough—enough and to spare for what I really wish most to do.”

No matter how burdened or harried we are, there is always time for what we want most if we make it. There is enough in a week for that week; there is time enough in a year for what we want to make of that year.

There is time enough in a life.

Prayer: O God, parent of us all, hear the cry of a busy person in a troubled land. Help me to make wise choices in my allotted time on earth, and be with me as I ponder your will to be done.  Amen.

-Jim Crook


From the Church Street Advent Devotion Book, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment