Saturday, March 9, 2013

Imagine No Malaria-Lenten Devotion Day 25: March 9


Saturday, March 9, 2013: Shine, Shine, Shine! 

Matthew 5:14-15 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.” 

So many children’s songs hold profound truths that we only truly appreciate when we get older. One such song is “This little light of mine”: 

This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine! 
This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine! 
This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine, 
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine! 

Jesus asked us to be His light in this world of darkness. He reminds us not to allow our eyes, which are the lamps of our bodies, to be filled with darkness, but to be “completely lighted, as when the light of a lamp shines on you.” Luke 11:36 

Our light needs to shine out for more than one morning or one day out of the week. We need to stand out daily with our words and actions as lights that bring truth, love, compassion, and acceptance to our society. 

During these hard economic times, I have found it hard to shine when I am worried about my job, my family’s finances, my children’s education, and so much more. But God reminds me in gentle ways of how I can still be his light—by taking food over to a grieving neighbor, babysitting for an ill co-worker, or visiting with a depressed friend. These actions cost me so little but share so much with others.

Prayer: Holy Father, help us to hold our lights in a world of darkness. Let us become the lights that live in truth and love. Brighten our lights by reminding us of the compassionate actions and words of our Lord, Jesus, in whose name we pray. Amen. 

Donna Trimble, North Carolina 


Hope for Africa Children's Choir 
Uganda, Photo by Kathy Gilbert 

No comments:

Post a Comment