Saturday, March 2, 2013

Imagine No Malaria-Lenten Devotion Day 18: March 2


Saturday, March 2, 2013: From Where I Sit 

Ephesians 5:8-13 (Good News Translation) “You yourselves used to be in the darkness, but since you have become the Lord's people, you are in the light. So you must live like people who belong to the light, for it is the light that brings a rich harvest of every kind of goodness, righteousness, and truth. Try to learn what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the worthless things that people do, things that belong to the darkness. Instead, bring them out to the light (It is really too shameful even to talk about the things they do in secret.) And when all things are brought out to the light, then their true nature is clearly revealed;” 

When my children were young, doctors, hospitals and medicine were available to them twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. They were immunized as infants as preventation for several infectious diseases. Even if they became ill, treatment and medicine were only a phone call or short drive away. From where I sat, I didn’t have worry about them getting sick or catching a contagious disease. 
When you don’t have to worry about something, it’s easy to forget it exists. You forget where others sit. I never had to worry about malaria, in fact I never thought about it. However, since I started my work with Imagine No Malaria, I think about it daily. In Africa, a child dies from malaria every 60 seconds-yet it is preventable and curable. I cannot imagine living in a place where death is the norm and not the exception. I cannot imagine my child suffering from and possibly dying of this devastating disease. I can however imagine children and adults healed, every day, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Imagine No Malaria provides bed nets, the drainage of standing water (where mosquitoes that carry the disease breed), training, education, and communication as means of prevention and treatment. Through this ministry, I imagine that one day, families in Africa won’t have to worry about malaria either. 

I used to watch the cartoon series “G.I. Joewith my children. One of the things that caught my attention was the last scene. It always had a short moral lesson. One lesson might show a person about to hurt someone else either physically or emotionally. Another lesson might show someone not being responsible by helping someone or something when they saw the need. In the middle of the act, G.I. Joe would step in and explain to the person how the action (or lack there of) could hurt or cause harm. It seemed as if a light came on in their heads. They would make a statement that showed they didn’t realize what their actions could do and ended with the statement “But now I know!” G.I. Joe would respond “And knowing is half the battle!” 

The light bulb has come on for me and now I know. I sit in a different place. I know about malaria-and that’s half the battle. Supporting Imagine No Malaria is the other half... the half that will help us win the battle against malaria. 

Prayer: Oh God, I thank you for your marvelous light. Help me to walk in it and share it with others. Help me to do what pleases you and help others no matter where they sit. Amen. 

Diane Maloney, Tennessee 

No comments:

Post a Comment