Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Imagine No Malaria-Lenten Devotion Day 35: March 19


Tuesday, March 19, 2013: Actions 

James 2:15-16 NIV “Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily bread. If one of you says to them, ‘Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed’ but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?” 

As a child, I always was told we were poor. We lived on a farm and had no electricity or running water. However, I never thought I was poor as we always had enough food to eat, and plenty of clothing and shelter. My parents were loving and caring. I was able to go to school and even to college on a scholarship. 

A few years ago, my husband and I went to Jamaica on a mission trip. I saw firsthand what it meant to be poor, and yet being with the Jamaican people, I saw they were like me. They did not think they were poor either. Many children were unable to go to school, because they lacked uniforms and the money to get them. Many had no electricity or running water either. However, they were happy. 

I think of the people around the world, especially the children who go to bed hungry or who do not have nets to protect them from the malaria-bearing mosquito, and I wonder what I can do? 

I see people making pillowcase dresses for little girls in Africa. I see children collecting money for the mosquito nets for children who would otherwise be in danger of malaria. Others collect books, clothing and medical supplies to be sent where it is needed. Again, I wonder what can I do? 

The book of James reminds me that I need to do more than wonder or wish them well. I need to put my faith into action. I can share what I have whether it is time praying for my world, sending money to help, or actually going somewhere on a mission. Everyone can do something. 

Prayer: Dear Lord, Open my eyes to the world around me. Give me ears to hear your voice, eyes to see the need a heart to care and a faith that moves me to action. Amen. 

Reva Husby, Mission Chair, Detroit Lakes UMC, Minnesota Conference 

No comments:

Post a Comment