Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Imagine No Malaria-Lenten Devotion Day 29: March 13


Wednesday, March 13, 2013: I Love Africa 

2 Corinthians 9: 6-7 (CEB) “What I mean is this: the one who sows a small number of seeds will also reap a small crop, and the one who sows a generous amount of seeds will also reap a generous crop. Everyone should give whatever they have decided in their heart. They shouldn’t give with hesitation or because of pressure. God loves a cheerful giver.” 

I love Africa. I love children – all children, all shapes and sizes, colors and cultures. As I returned on the long flight from Sierra Leone, West Africa, I had many hours to pray and contemplate how I could give more to bless the children of Africa. 

This year, 2013, is the year Iowa United Methodists will be fully engaged in “Imagine No Malaria,” saving the lives of children in countries I have visited. Iowa is one of the leading producers of corn and soybeans. Millions of seeds are planted every spring. Farmers work faithfully to produce a productive plentiful harvest. 

Spring and summer 2013 will be seasons for me to encourage as many people as I can to join the efforts that plant seeds of hope, advocacy, education and fundraising. Like the famers in Iowa, we do not intend to sow a small number of seeds, but a generous amount of seeds of encouragement and invitation expecting a generous response. 

We really believe as Paul records in II Corinthians 9:7, “God loves a cheerful giver.” 

Every effort every gift big and small will save lives and stir the gifts of revival in Iowa and Africa. 
Prayer: Dear God, translate our love for all God’s children into specific acts of generosity. Amen. 

Bishop Julius C. Trimble, Iowa Conference 

No comments:

Post a Comment