Monday, February 25, 2013

Imagine No Malaria - Lenten Devotion Day 13: February 25


Monday, February 25, 2013: Imitation 

Philippians 3:17 (new RSV) “Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us.” 

My youngest son had just learned to walk. We were at Annual Conference surrounded by people who knew us. I enjoyed spending time walking with my child. Later one of the clergy came to me and said, ‘I saw you and Matthew walking away from me down the hall. It was so great to see. He walks just like you!’ 

At the time, I thought how great that was. You see, my son is adopted. Walking like me isn’t genetic. It is environmental. He truly was learning from my example. We teach our children to walk and talk and pray. We teach them to live safely and to care about the safety and welfare of others. 

As Christian, we learn from the example that Jesus the Christ set for us. We walk in faith. Each step we take can help others live a healthy safe life. Imagine No Malaria gives us the opportunity to follow Jesus and offer a better life to God’s children around the world. We can teach others how to be safer from the mosquitoes that carry the deadly disease. 

It’s simple really. We look around our homes and our communities and ask ourselves how can I help my child live a good, safe life? We look around the world and ask what can I do as a child of God to help God’s other children live a good and safe life? 

Prayer: Great and Loving God, may others look at the way I walk through this life get a glimpse of how you walk and love and reach out and care for your children all around the world. Amen. 

Rev. Tom Boller, Field Coordinator, Yellowstone Conference 

No comments:

Post a Comment