Sunday, February 24, 2013

Imagine No Malaria-Lenten Devotion Day 12: February 24



Sunday, February 24, 2013: Caring for Each Other 

Luke 13:34 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing.” 

Outside my office window there was a nest for a Canadian goose. The mother sat there quietly and patiently day after day, waiting for the natural process and spring birthing of young. 

We grew quite friendly as she watched me work at my desk and I engaged in a morning review of the status of the coming young. As I closed my office door each evening, she looked longingly at me as if to say, “Are you leaving me here alone?” I confess it was quite a daily routine to watch as she protected and provided for her small ones. 

Now I understand a little bit more about the scripture references to Jesus’ sorrow over Jerusalem and weeping for the unwillingness of the people to accept his lordship. 

Are we weeping over the lost and wandering ones? Are we brooding, protecting and nurturing the ones who can’t find their way? Are we gathering with loving patience those who need the fresh assurance of rebirth? 

May we once again long and pray and patiently hold on for the re-birthing that is needed in the churches and communities where we serve. 

“I thank God upon every remembrance of you,” is what St. Paul said to the church, when he wrote in recognition of their faithfulness to the gospel and their hospitality and care for him personally. 
I thank God today for you: For your life given in covenant and service; for your labor of love and your message of hope given out in acts of kindness; for your vision to meet the needs of many and minister his grace; for your family and those whom you embrace as family; for your daily, steady working so that life is improved for someone. 

I thank God for you, because you are important to the kingdom of God. May God bless you abundantly today, for he is good; His love endures forever. 

Rev. Bramwell Kjellgren, Pennsylvania 

No comments:

Post a Comment