Saturday, February 23, 2013

Imagine No Malaria-Lenten Devotion Day 11: February 23



Saturday, February 23, 2013: Size 

1 Samuel 17:50 “So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him.” 

Early Sunday morning, I headed out to a small church in rural Texas. I didn’t know where I was going, because the district directory didn’t list an address for the church, nor did the Internet. 

Strangely, I made it without needing an address at all. The smallest church I had ever seen was impossible to miss in a town that looked more like a tiny subdivision than a community. Staring at the surroundings, I was disappointed though. 

With so few people worshiping in such a remote place, I wasn’t sure they would believe they could save lives in Africa, no matter how the pastor felt. Nevertheless, I made my presentation. 
Then, they amazed me. 

The 13 people who joyously filled the pews that morning unanimously decided they could be the healing hands of Christ for more than 1,000 people who lived in places that were so remote and seemingly insignificant that they too had no addresses. 

Some people see those who are living in address-less villages of Africa as overwhelmingly unreachable, but the people of Bruni saw their potential to serve God by fighting malaria and sending relief to those in need. 

That morning 13 people reminded me of what David knew when he faced Goliath – when we are in God’s service, size doesn’t matter. The desire to serve and knowing God stands with us, that is what matters. Bruni was small. They stood against this mammoth disease anyway, because they knew they would win. 

Prayer: Lord give us the boldness to serve, even when the task seems impossible. Help us to remember that nothing is impossible for you and with faith as small as a mustard seed we have the power to move mountains for your kingdom. Amen

Leia Danielle Williams, Northwest Texas Conference 

No comments:

Post a Comment